Photography Contest :
‘Hangeul I Met’
June 1 – August 31, 2022 (KST)
Qualification for Applicants
- Anyone who is interested in Hangeul, irrespective of nationality or place of residence
※ A maximum of 3 works per person are allowed to be submitted.
- 'Hangeul in Your Daily Life'
- Photos related to Hangeul taken by the applicant oneself (between January 1, 2022 and the due date of the application)
- Photos of people studying and learning Hangeul, pretty and unique signboards and products(T-shirts, small goods, bags, etc.) printed with Hangeul, people watching the exhibitions in the National Hangeul Museum(NHM), and Hangeul met outside Korea
- Please refer to the gallery of the previous year's award-winning works. (www.hangeulphoto.kr The Gallery of the Award-winning Works)
- Grand Prize (1 work): NHM Director’s Certificate and a travel gift voucher or a cultural gift voucher (value of 2 million KRW)
- First runner-up (3 works): NHM Director’s Certificate and a travel gift voucher or a cultural gift voucher (value of 1 million KRW)
- Second runner-up (5 works): NHM Director’s Certificate and a travel gift voucher or a cultural gift voucher (value of 500,000 KRW)
- Third runner-up (7 works): NHM Director’s Certificate and a travel gift voucher or a cultural gift voucher (value of 200,000 KRW)
- Honorable Mentions (14 works): a travel gift voucher or a cultural gift voucher (value of 100,000 KRW)
※ For overseas residents, the rewards may be changed depending on the local situation.
- Application Period: June 1 – August 15, 2022 (Korean standard time)
- The Result Announcement: Scheduled in mid-September, 2022
※ The results will be notified through the homepage and individual contact.
- Date of Award Ceremony: October 9, 2022 (Hangeul Day)
The Specification of Photographs to be submitted
- Photograph Specifications: no limit on length and width of photos
- One person can submit a maximum of 3 works. (However, only one work will be considered for an award.)
- The photo should be accompanied by a title, a short description and the date the photo is taken on.
- The photos must be taken on and after January 1, 2022.
- The applicants are allowed to use all the camera tools including DSLR, smart phone, and Tablet PC. Only basic photo editing is allowed. (However, excessive photo editing is prohibited)
※ For the criteria of photo editing, please refer to FAQ on the homepage.
※ For the award-winning works, the original copies must be at least 3,000 pixels on the longer side.
※ The metadata of the photo(date, etc.) must be included.
How to Submit
- Please submit through the homepage: www.hangeulphoto.kr
The Criteria for Evaluation
- The overall quality of works will be evaluated based on the criteria including relevance to the theme*, creativity, and artistic value, etc.
* Works related to Hangeul in daily life that can contribute to expanding Hangeul Culture
** A total of 30 award-winning works will be selected (including 20% of the award-winning works by foreigners and overseas residents)
- The copyright of the submitted works (author’s property rights and author’s moral rights) will be given to the applicants(creators), and author’s moral rights will belong to the applicants even after winning an award in the competition.
- The submitted works must be purely creative ones which have never been submitted to any other competitions, events, and products domestically and internationally, and the works identified as plagiarism, theft, or copied ones will be excluded from the list of awards and the applicant will forfeit the prize including the voucher.
- The applicants are fully responsible for legal disputes relevant to copyrights of the award-winning works.
- The rights of the submitted works belong to the applicants in principle, and yet, in case of the award-winning works, the rights can be transferred to the National Hangeul Museum through an additional transfer agreement and the works can be modified and used accordingly.
- The National Hangeul Museum can change all or part of the award-winning works and can freely use them for marketing purposes.
- The award-winning works may be used for calendars, publishing promotional materials, exhibitions, SNS, and internet services by the National Hangeul Museum on a non-profit basis, and the museum has the comprehensive right to use them. The work submitted by the applicant who disagrees with the condition may be excluded from the list of awards.
- The National Hangeul Museum does not have any right for the submitted works which are not selected as award-winning works and its unilateral decision to take the entire or the partial copyrights of the award-winning works will not be made and notified.
- If your works are quite similar to others even though you didn’t intend to copy them, they may be excluded from the list of awards even after their winning announcement.
- A maximum of 3 works per person are allowed to be submitted.
* However, if one person wins several prizes, only the highest prize will be given.
- Rewards, award levels, and the number of winners may be changed depending on the number of works submitted and their levels.
- The works out of the regulations or the specifications will be excluded from the list of awards.
- The submitted works must be purely creative ones which have never been submitted to any other competitions, events, and products domestically and internationally, and the works identified as plagiarism, theft, or copied ones shall be excluded from the list of awards, and the applicant will forfeit the prize including the voucher.
- All the amendment and additional information regarding the completion will be notified on the home page.
- The award-winning works may be used on the National Hangeul Museum's website, SNS(Facebook and Youtube), and for making calendars, both online and offline media.
- website : www.hangeulphoto.kr